Summer Travel Survey Results
In late June 2008, BedandBreakfast.com polled more than 5,200 U.S.
innkeepers about advanced bookings for the July 4th weekend. The 1,346
respondents reported that July 4th weekend reservations are even with or
have increased over last year at more than 70 percent of B&Bs.
Nearly 28 percent of respondents reported that July 4 bookings have
increased year over year, while nearly 42 percent noted that they are even
with last year's reservations -- a notable achievement in an unstable
economy. Innkeepers' comments explaining the reasons for increased
reservations ranged from an increase in return guests, to proximity to
scenic attractions, to more couples looking for shorter, one-tank getaways.
In fact, one in three innkeepers cited the increase in shorter getaways as
the reason for strong July 4 bookings. This year, the July 4 holiday falls
on a Friday, giving vacation-deprived Americans a three-day weekend, perfect
Interestingly, in BedandBreakfast.com's May survey, 37 percent of survey
respondents stated that bookings were down for Memorial Day travel year over
year. Yet less than 30 percent (29.3 percent) said that July 4 bookings were
behind this year, showing that Americans are turning to B&Bs for
value-filled summer vacations. Among those responding, 80 percent attributed
the decrease in bookings to the price of gas, and nearly 78 percent claimed
that the unstable economy was affecting travel (respondents could select
more than one reason). More details on the May survey are
Results of the survey were included in this
and response statistics can be seen
Here’s a brief sampling of the over 500 comments:
- Business has increased by about 25% since we became state certified
by the Florida Green Lodging Program last August.
- Green certification through New Hampshire Sustainable Lodging and
Restaurant Program; antioxidant-rich, botanical amenities; luxurious
100% Egyptian cotton towels; organic produce and locally produced
produce; earth-friendly cleaning products.
- We get almost all our guests because we are GREEN.
- Trip Advisor and BedandBreakfast.com reviews probably influence at
least 50% of our guests. We love them as they sort (subjectively of
course) the good from the awful, unclean, rude and generally less than
- Cleanliness and great reviews are why guests choose our inn.
- We are the most inexpensive B&B in our county (with over 40 B&Bs)
and we have 17 positive guest reviews – people get the most bang for
their buck with us.
- We have had many guests comment on our BedandBreakfast.com reviews,
and I think they help the guests decide to stay with us.
- Pet-friendly does the trick for us. Lots of great people love to
travel with their great dogs!
- We have a petting zoo for children. If they fuss during the
breakfast, the parents let us take them outside to see the animals so
the adults can relax.
- We take dogs in two rooms with no limit to the size of dog.
- My mama moose had twins this year! Guests enjoy watching the babies.
- We respond to every reservation personally even if made online. Each
is provided with a sample four-day itinerary with area activities and
sights, which often results in extended stays.
- Our bookings continue to go up every year (nine years now)...if you
serve people, have reasonable rates, disclose everything on your website
(no surprises), record what guests say about you and provide real-time
online booking....people love it, come back and tell their friends...all
the other hoopla doesn't really mean very much.
- We’re using BedandBreakfast.com Online Reservations, and it's
- Gas prices are keeping some travelers home.
- Tourists are switching from RV rentals to B&Bs and compact cars.
- All guests come from within a 150-mile radius, and are looking for a
great experience closer to home!
- The Fourth of July has always been a "no vacancy" period for us; the
only difference between this and previous years is that guests are
waiting longer to schedule.
- Closer to home visitors; increase in word-of-mouth guests;
internationals are traveling in spite of fuel prices.
- B&Bs are now popular wedding sites. Brides are choosing smaller
venues and fewer guests.
- Some folks don't want the traditional flowers and lace B&B and love
our more contemporary look.
- Several guests have mentioned the federal tax rebate.
- Gas prices are keeping people at home. They would rather have a cook
out at home with hot dogs, not steaks, and pay their bills rather than
- Many new area hotels are driving down rates.
- Reduced airline service to our area is making travel more expensive
and is reducing the number of tourists.
- Flooding in the Midwest.
- BedandBreakfast.com has made the difference for us.
- Filled the inn by emailing past guests about a Fourth of July party,
including a $25 gas card, a reserved spot for the concert and fireworks,
and a barbecue dinner on the night of the 5th.
- Working with local merchants on cooperative advertising in major
venues; invested $385 and got $25,000 in ads.
- Our listing on BedandBreakfast.com has been a big part of our
- Increased our rates and increased our occupancy.
Guest service & amenities:
- Lots of attention given to guests, which really seems to be
- We have the amenities and location that guests want, and they come
- Swimming pool, breakfast gazebo, lovely gardens; peace, tranquility,
- Customize meals for dietary needs such as vegan, vegetarian, kosher,
- Fresh flowers throughout the house and grounds.
- Spa robes/slippers; en suite coffee/tea; fruit baskets; fresh
flowers; silver beverage service in each room; personalized rubber
- Complimentary daily beach towels, beach chairs, umbrellas, use of
bicycles; faux down/feather hypoallergenic beds and comforters.
- On-site cooking classes, retreat and board meeting facilities
(indoors or out), wedding and shower facilities (indoors or out),
corporate meeting rooms, and special event weekends (fly-fishing, river
rafting, gourmet cooking, murder mystery weekends.
- Each guest room has an iron and ironing board, stocked mini-fridge,
hair dryer, private phone with voice mail.
- Our laundry facility is much appreciated by my guests, as is our
low-cost international telephoning service.
- Waterfront B&B with free dockage for your boat or floatplane.
- Individual thermostats and ceiling fans in each room.
- I do routings of area attractions so people can relax and enjoy by
just following my directions.
- Our guests are truly our primary concern, we want them to leave
loving our B&B, and they do!
- Guests love the complimentary canoe, garden labyrinth, lake swimming
(beach towels provided), and outdoor dining by the waterfalls.
- Signature robes, high-end mattresses, elevator, two-hour breakfast
window with menu of choices.
- Complimentary wine hour with our signature cocktail makes for a
lively fun evening of story-telling; no pressure getting to know each
- Chocolate truffles in room, sleep masks, back scratchers, endless
This Month's Sponsor
Reviews = Reservations
No doubt about it:
travelers want reviews, and they are more likely to stay somewhere that
has reviews posted. The BedandBreakfast.com reviews program was developed specifically for B&Bs.
An easy way to get more reviews on your listing is to add a badge, like the
one below, to your website.
Log in to your Home Base. Click Reviews, then click Links,
Awards and Review Reminders to download the badge and other helpful
Online Trade Show
Visit our newest vendor members!
Click here to view our Online Trade Show.
Are you a vendor?
Click here to get featured!
Gift Card Reseller Program
Could you use some extra cash? Sign up for the gift card reseller
program, and make 15% on each sale! There is no cost to
click here for details. If you'd like to receive a free reseller kit, contact us at 800-462-2632 or
"As much as I would like to sell gift
certificates that are exclusively for my inn, I realize that we are not
the perfect gift for everybody. This year, I gave everyone who enquired
about a gift certificate an option of a GC to be used exclusively with
me or good at any B&B in the BedandBreakfast.com membership. Many liked
the idea of having choices, and I sold them the BedandBreakfast.com gift
card. I got the commission up front, and I don’t have to worry about the
liability. I also get most of the face value back should the gift card
be used at my inn. The process was quick and easy. I am very happy with
the results and will continue to offer BedandBreakfast.com cards as an
option." Mike Venturini, Munro House B&B Spa, Jonesville, MI
What’s better than
three month’s free membership? How about six months? Or a whole year? Refer
fellow innkeepers to BedandBreakfast.com, and if they join at the Silver
level or above, your membership will be extended by three months for
each B&B that signs up. If four B&Bs sign up, your membership is free
for a year! For details,
log in to your Home Base and click
Referral Program under Free Member
Benefits, or call 800-GO-B-AND-B (800-462-2632).
Featured Property and
Inn of the Month auctions are easy, affordable and effective ways to drive
traffic to your website.
To update your entry, check your traffic statistics, and renew your membership,
please log in
with your property ID and password. Don't like your password? Once you're
logged in, click "Membership," select "Change Password," and choose another that's easier to remember.
"I am happy to report that we have had several enquiries from your site,
one guest who is staying for five nights, so our membership cost has been
covered. Thanks for your help!" Caitlin Adair, Sanctuary, Putney, VT
Inns for Sale
Innkeepers' Info Center
info? You’ll find lots of educational
articles on our site for your convenience.